Skip to main content

Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

Hunting:  If you are 16 or older, an Arkansas hunting license is required to hunt wildlife unless you are on a licensed game-bird shooting resort that supplies pen-raised birds. You may not possess a license that belongs to someone else or one that has been altered, backdated or counterfeited. If you are a nonresident, you may not possess a resident license. If you guide, aid or assist someone else for pay or other value, you must have an Arkansas guide license.

Fishing:  If you are 16 or older, you must carry a valid Arkansas fishing license to take or attempt to take fish and frogs in Arkansas, unless you are fishing in a licensed “put-and-take” pay lake.   Anglers 16 and older also must have a valid trout permit to keep trout or fish in certain waters. If you guide, aid or assist someone else in fishing for hire, you also must have a valid Arkansas fishing guide license.

A resident is any person who physically inhabits a bona fide residence within Arkansas for at least 60 days and declares themselves a full-time resident of Arkansas.

Also, the following students (who must carry proof of full-time enrollment in schools, colleges or universities while hunting or fishing in Arkansas) are eligible to purchase annual resident licenses: resident foreign exchange students attending school outside of Arkansas; nonresident foreign exchange students attending school in Arkansas; residents of Arkansas enrolled as full-time students in colleges and universities outside of Arkansas; and nonresidents enrolled as full-time students in colleges and universities in Arkansas.

Ownership of Arkansas real estate by a person living outside the state does not qualify the owner as a resident.

Active-duty military personnel assigned to duty stations in Arkansas are granted annual or trip resident privileges for hunting and fishing. Active-duty servicemen and women who were Arkansas residents at the time of entering service are granted annual or trip resident privileges for hunting and fishing, regardless of where they are stationed.

Our new license system provides four convenient options for purchase:

  1. An Authorized Dealer: There are many local business in Arkansas that are authorized to sell AGFC hunting and fishing licenses.
  2. Online: AGFC Licenses may be purchased online at Users must pay with credit card when purchasing licenses, permit applications and merchandise online.
  3. An AGFC Regional Office, Nature Center, or the Little Rock Headquarters:  Licenses, permit applications, etc may be purchased at these locations during regular business hours Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
  4. By phone: Licenses, permit applications, etc may be purchased by calling 833-345-0325 during regular business hours Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
  • First and Last Name
  • Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Basic Demographic Information (Gender, Height, Eye Color, Race)
  • Driver’s License Number (optional)

The collection of the Social Security Number is a requirement mandated by the Federal Government and the State of Arkansas for the purpose of child support collection enforcement. Federal and State laws (42 U.S.C.A. 666, A.C.A. 9-14-239 and A.C.A. 17-1-104) requires the AGFC to collect your full United States social security number (SSN) when purchasing recreational fishing and hunting licenses.

Once collected, your SSN will be securely hashed and stored for use under the State’s child support enforcement program to locate individuals for purposes of establishing paternity and establishing, modifying, and enforcing support obligations. Once stored, your SSN will not be viewable in its original plaintext form by anyone, including AGFC employees, and will not be requested again.

The license system has an exempt feature if a social security number has not been assigned to you by the Social Security Administration.

Payments may be made online by Visa, Mastercard, or Discover.

An online purchase may be cancelled up to the point the “Complete Purchase” button is clicked.

The licensing website uses Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) which means that data from your computer to the license server is encrypted. As an added layer of security, your Social Security Number and Driver’s License Number is securely hashed in the license database. Our system uses the GovPay payment engine developed by INA. GovPay “uses advanced encryption methods to protect identity and private information of all transactions and is Payment Card Industry/Data Security Standard (PCI/DSS) compliant.” For more details, see:

No, AGFC licenses may be emailed to you with a pdf that can be saved to any smart phone or electronic device. Do not rely on your phone’s email app to reference your license number in the field, as cellular service varies.  Instead save a pdf version to your phone’s ibooks or photo library.  Also, licenses purchased at any AGFC offices or an authorized license dealer can be printed for you on an 8 ½ x 11 piece of paper.

Licenses are available to be reprinted at no cost.  Please go to and select the option “Reprint your License or Permit”.  Or, you may call 833-345-0325 during regular business hours Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.

You may speak with someone by contacting AGFC directly at 833-345-0325 during regular business hours Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. For after hours technical support please contact 844-527-7877.

To obtain a license dealer application and contract, visit our website at and click on the Licenses and Permits page. Or, call 833-345-0325 during regular business hours Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm to have one mailed.

Please verify that your email address is correct in the license system.  During regular business hours, you may call 833-345-0325 for assistance. For afterhours technical support please contact 844-527-7877.

A signature is no longer required on the license.

Purchasing the license code DSR or DSN and having either the valid license or an electronic copy in your possession will meet the State requirements.  An actual stamp does not need to be carried.

Options to tag your deer include:

  • Immediately upon harvest and before moving the deer, check the deer via or by calling 833-289-2469 then no tagging is required.
  • Attach one of the tags provided with your license in a waterproof, zip-closed container to the antler or ear.
  • Create your own tag using any other durable material.  Include your name, customer id number, and the date, time, and zone of your harvest written legibly in ink.

Every valid license type will display on your license until expired.

The QR code displays your Customer ID Number.  This is currently used in Chronic Wasting Disease Management Zones, and in the future, Enforcement will be able to scan and retrieve your license privileges.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission has revised its licensing procedure to create more options for hunters to get to the field quickly. This includes the creation of paper, electronic and plastic license options.

  • Paper – Any license may be purchased at a license vendor or online and printed on standard 8½” x 11” printer paper. Users may print as many copies as they wish to keep in their wallet, glove box, etc. Previously a replacement license, with a fee would have been required.
  • Electronic – Upon purchase from a vendor or online, a hunter or angler who has provided their email address can have an electronic (.pdf) file emailed to them. This may be saved on their phone (or used to print paper copies). The electronic copy may be used as proof of license purchase.
  • Plastic – Hunters and anglers who wish to upgrade their license to a more durable plastic card will soon be able to order one online or at a license vendor for an additional $3. The card will take approximately three weeks to arrive by mail after purchase.

What happens if my phone battery dies or the paper license is damaged or unreadable?

Wildlife Officers have the ability to look up a person’s license purchases in the field via radio if a person’s license is unreadable or their phone dies. They understand these sorts of issues are possible, but hunters should make the attempt to have these materials on their person while hunting.

Where do I put my duck stamps if I choose the paper or electronic option?

  • Duck stamps DO NOT have to be affixed to your license to be valid.
  • State duck stamp purchases will be reflected in the codes on the license, so the physical stamp does not have to be carried on your person.
  • Federal duck stamps have to be signed in ink across the face of the stamp, and may be left on the original backing or placed anywhere it will be in your possession while hunting.
  • Federal duck stamps purchased electronically come with an electronic receipt code that can be used for 45 days after purchase as proof of your stamp. After 45 days, the physical stamp should have arrived by mail and should be carried.

Any harvested wildlife transferred to another person must include the following information: Name of person who killed the game, species, quantity, person receiving the game, date of kill and check number (if it’s big game). A sample Transfer Tag is available in the Current Hunting Guidebook.