Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA/Deer Research Area East Unit
- 2019-20 Closed Seasons
- 2019-20 Crow
Sept. 1, 2019-Feb. 21, 2020. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- 2019-20 Deer
Deer Archery: Sept. 28, 2019-Feb. 29, 2020.
Deer Muzzleloader (permit hunt): Jan. 11-13, 2020.
Deer Modern Gun (permit hunt): Dec. 7-9, 2019.
Deer Modern Gun (youth permit hunt): Nov. 23-24, 2019.
Deer Modern Gun Mobility Impaired (permit hunt): Oct. 19-21, 2019.
WMA Deer Bag Limit: Four deer, no more than two bucks and two does, which may include:
- One buck with archery,
- One buck with muzzleloader permit,
- One buck with modern gun permit,
- Two antlerless with archery, muzzleloader permit or modern gun permit.
- During youth permit hunt, youths may take three deer, one buck (no antler restrictions) and two does with permit.
- During mobility impaired permit hunt, mobility impaired hunters may take three deer, one buck and two does with permit.
- A WMA Deer Hunt Permit is required to hunt deer with firearms on this WMA. Click here for details.
- Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area East Unit closes to deer hunting when the Mississippi River gauge at Arkansas City reaches 31 feet and remains closed until the gauge falls to 29 feet or below. Click here for details.
- 15-inch inside spread or 18-inch main beam rule.
- No dogs.
- Hunters must harvest and check a doe on Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area prior to harvesting a buck.
- A youth is not required to harvest a doe before harvesting a buck during any hunt.
- 2019-20 Quail
Nov. 1, 2019-Feb. 3, 2020 Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
- 2019-20 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2019-Feb. 29, 2020. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
- 2019-20 Squirrel
May 15, 2019-Feb. 29, 2020. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
- 2019-20 Waterfowl
- It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through electrical or mechanical means, except traditional jerk strings.
- Nonresidents need a 5-day Nonresident WMA Waterfowl Hunting Permit (NW5) to hunt waterfowl on this WMA. The permit costs $30.50 and is valid only Nov. 23-Dec.2, Dec. 27-Jan. 5 and Jan. 22-Jan. 31.
- 2019 Turkey
Youth Hunt (permit required): April 6-7, 2019. One legal turkey.
Firearms Hunt (permit required): April 8-10, April 13-15 and April 20-22, 2019. One legal turkey, no jakes (youths may take one jake as part of their statewide seasonal bag limit).
Archery Hunt (no permit required): April 11-12, and April 16-19, 2019. Two legal turkeys, no jakes (youths may take one jake as part of their statewide seasonal bag limit).
Turkey Notes: A WMA Turkey Hunt Permit is required to hunt turkeys on this WMA. Click here for details.
- Horses and mules are prohibited during deer season.