Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA/Deer Research Area East Unit
- 2020-21 Closed Seasons
- 2020-21 Crow
Sept. 1, 2020-Feb. 21, 2021. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- 2020-21 Deer
Deer Archery: Sept. 26, 2020-Feb. 28, 2021
Deer Muzzleloader (permit hunt): Jan. 9-11, 2021
Deer Modern Gun (permit hunt): Dec. 5-7, 2020
Deer Modern Gun (youth permit hunt): Nov. 28-29, 2020
Deer Modern Gun Mobility Impaired (permit hunt): Oct.17-19, 2020
WMA Deer Bag Limit: Four deer, no more than two legal bucks and two does, which may include:
- One legal buck with archery,
- One legal buck with muzzleloader permit,
- One legal buck with modern gun permit,
- Two does with archery, muzzleloader permit or modern gun permit.
- During youth permit hunt, youths may take three deer, one buck (no antler restrictions) and two does with permit.
- During mobility impaired permit hunt, mobility impaired hunters may take three deer, one buck and two does with permit.
- A WMA Deer Hunt Permit is required to hunt deer with firearms on this WMA. Click here for details.
- Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area East Unit closes to deer hunting when the Mississippi River gauge at Arkansas City reaches 31 feet and remains closed until the gauge falls to 29 feet or below. Click here for details.
- 15-inch inside spread or 18-inch main beam rule.
- No dogs.
- Hunters must harvest and check a doe on Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area prior to harvesting a buck.
- A youth is not required to harvest a doe before harvesting a buck during any hunt.
- 2020-21 Quail
Nov. 1, 2020-Feb. 7, 2021. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
- 2020-21 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2020-Feb. 28, 2021. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
- 2020-21 Squirrel
May 15, 2020-Feb. 28, 2021. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
- 2020-21 Waterfowl
- It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through electrical or mechanical means, except jerk strings. See exact code.
- Boating regulations on WMAs and NWRs.
- Airboats may not be operated within the Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA and Deer Research Area (both units, excluding the Mississippi River) during duck season.
- In addition to a valid Arkansas hunting license, nonresidents need a a valid Arkansas waterfowl stamp (DSN) and a 5-day Nonresident WMA Waterfowl Hunting Permit (NW5) to hunt waterfowl on wildlife management areas. The permit costs $30.50 and is valid only Nov. 21-30, Dec. 27-Jan. 5, Jan. 22-31. It is available online, by telephone or from license dealers. Nonresidents will also need a free WMA General Use permit (WMP) when hunting on any WMA.
- 2021 Turkey
Archery Hunt (no permit required): April 22-23, 2021 and April 27-30, 2021. One legal turkey.
Firearms Youth Hunt (permit required): April 10-11, 2021. One legal turkey.
Firearms Hunt (permit required): April 19-21, 2021, April 24-26, 2021, May 1-3, 2021. One legal turkey.
Turkey Notes: A WMA Turkey Hunt Permit is required to hunt turkeys on this WMA during firearms hunts. Click here for details.
- Area Notes
- A free annual General Use Permit (WMP) is required to hunt or trap.
- Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area East Unit closes to deer hunting when the Mississippi River gauge at Arkansas City reaches 31 feet and remains closed until the gauge falls to 29 feet or below. The West Unit does not flood and should remain independent of the East Unit.
- Horses and mules are prohibited during deer season.