Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA/Deer Research Area East Unit
- 2022-23 Waterfowl
- 2022-23 Arkansas Waterfowl Hunting Guidebook
- 2022-23 Statewide Waterfowl Season Dates and Bag Limits
- General WMA Regulations
- It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through electrical or mechanical means, except jerk strings. See exact code.
- See Page 44 for boating restrictions.
- Airboats may not be operated within the Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA and Deer Research Area (both units, excluding the Mississippi River) during duck season.
- 2023-24 Closed Seasons
- 2023-24 Crow
Sept. 1, 2023-Feb. 19, 2024. Open Thursdays through Mondays only. No limit.
- 2023-24 Deer
Deer Archery: Sept. 23, 2023-Feb. 29, 2024
Deer Muzzleloader (permit hunt): Jan. 13-15, 2024
Deer Modern Gun (permit hunt): Dec. 2-4, 2023
Deer Modern Gun (youth permit hunt): Nov. 25-26, 2023
Deer Modern Gun Mobility Impaired (permit hunt): Oct. 21-23, 2023
WMA Deer Bag Limit: Four deer, no more than two bucks and two does, which may include:
- One buck with archery,
- One buck with muzzleloader permit,
- One buck with modern gun permit,
- Two does with archery, muzzleloader permit or modern gun permit.
- During youth permit hunt, youths may take three deer, one buck (no antler restrictions) and two does with permit.
- During mobility impaired permit hunt, mobility impaired hunters may take three deer, one buck and two does with permit.
- 15-inch inside spread or 18-inch main beam rule.
- No dogs.
- Hunters must harvest and check a doe on Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area prior to harvesting a buck.
- A youth is not required to harvest a doe before harvesting a buck during any hunt.
- 2023-24 Dove
Sept. 2-Oct. 22, 2023 and Dec. 8, 2023-Jan. 15, 2024
Mourning Dove and White-Winged Dove
Daily Limit - 15, possession Limit - 45
No daily or possession limit
Eurasian Collared Doves must remain fully feathered in the field and while being transported from the field.
The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission prepares a few fields each year for the opening weekend of dove season so the public has a place to enjoy this exciting form of wingshooting.
Dove fields on WMAs are available on a first-come, first-served basis. WMA acreage put into dove fields is relatively small because most hunters only pursue doves the first few days of the season. However, after opening weekend of dove season, many wildlife species feed in the fields, particularly those that were topsown with winter wheat.
- 2023-24 Quail
Nov. 1, 2023-Feb. 5, 2024. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12.
While training bird dogs, you may use handguns or shotguns with blank ammunition. Pen-raised quail may be taken with a Shoot-To-Kill Bird Dog Field Training Permit. This permit is available from your local wildlife officer.
- 2023-24 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2023-Feb. 29, 2024. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16.
- 2023-24 Squirrel
May 15, 2023-Feb. 29, 2024. Dogs allowed. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
- 2024 Turkey
Youth Hunt (permit required): April 6-7, 2024. One legal turkey.
Archery: April 18-19, April 23-26 and April 30-May 5, 2024. (closed during firearms permit hunts). One legal turkey.
Firearms Hunt (permit required): April 15-17, April 20-22 and April 27-29, 2024. One legal turkey.
Turkey Notes: A WMA Turkey Hunt Permit is required to hunt turkeys on this WMA during firearms hunts. Click here for details.
- Area Notes
- A free annual General Use Permit (WMP) is required to hunt or trap on WMAs. Permits are available online by clicking "Buy Licenses" at agfc.com or by calling 833-345-0325 or any regional office.
- Check antler restrictions for important additional information.
- Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area East Unit closes to deer hunting when the Mississippi River gauge at Arkansas City reaches 31 feet and remains closed until the gauge falls to 29 feet or below.
- The West Unit does not flood and should remain independent of the East Unit.
- Horses and mules are prohibited during deer season.
- For access restrictions that affect all users during waterfowl season, check the waterfowl guidebook.