Dr. Lester Sitzes III Bois D'Arc WMA
- 2021-22 Waterfowl
- 2021-22 Arkansas Waterfowl Hunting Guidebook
- 2021-22 Statewide Waterfowl Season Dates and Bag Limits
- General WMA Regulations
- No boats allowed Nov. 15-19, 2021, Nov.30-Dec. 10, 2021 and Dec. 24-25, 2021.
- Closed to all access (except in designated campsites, parking areas, boat launch ramps and boat staging areas) from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m., Nov. 20, 2021-Jan. 31, 2022 and Feb. 5, 2022. Boats may only be launched in boat staging areas after 2:00 a.m. and any boat must remain occupied at all times while kept in boat staging areas between 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m.
- It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through electrical or mechanical means, except jerk strings. See exact code.
- Dr. Lester Sitzes III Bois d’Arc Lake WRA is open for fishing and non-hunting access.
- No boats allowed from 1 p.m. to 4 a.m., Nov. 20, 2021-Jan. 31, 2022.
Exception – Boats allowed from 1 p.m. until 6:30 p.m., Dec. 4, 2021 and Jan. 31, 2022.
- See Page 44 for boating restrictions.
- Boats are not allowed on the greentree waterfowl area 14 days before duck season opens. Boats with outboard motors larger than 25 horsepower, surface-drive motors larger than 37 horsepower and airboats may not be used (except for Dr. Lester Sitzes III Bois d’Arc Lake).
- 2022-23 Closed Seasons
- 2022-23 Crow
Sept. 1, 2022-Feb. 20, 2023. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- 2022-23 Deer
Deer Archery: Sept. 24, 2022-Feb. 28, 2023
Red Slough Waterfowl Rest Area: Sept. 24-Oct. 31, 2022 and Feb. 19-28, 2023
Deer Muzzleloader (permit hunt): Oct. 15-23, 2022
Deer Modern Gun (permit hunt): Nov. 12-20, 2022
Deer Modern Gun Youth Hunt (permit hunt): Nov. 5-6, 2022
WMA Deer Bag Limit: Four deer, no more than two bucks, which may include:
- Two bucks with archery,
- Four does with archery,
- One buck and two does with muzzleloader permit,
- One buck and two does with modern gun permit.
- During youth hunt, youths may take two deer, one buck (no antler restrictions) and one doe
- 12-inch inside spread or 15-inch main beam rule.
- No dogs.
- 2022-23 Quail
Nov. 1, 2022-Feb. 5, 2023. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
- 2022-23 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2022-Feb. 28, 2023. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
- 2022-23 Squirrel
May 15, 2022-Feb. 28, 2023. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
- 2022 Alligator
Alligator (permit hunts): Sept. 16-19, 2022 and Sept. 23-26, 2022. Permit required.
- 2022 Turkey
Archery Hunt (no permit required): April 18-May 8, 2022. Closed during firearm hunt. One legal turkey.
Firearms Youth Hunt (permit required): April 9-10, 2022. One legal turkey.
Firearms Hunt (permit required): April 18-20, 2022 and April 23-25, 2022. One legal turkey.
A WMA Turkey Hunt Permit is required to hunt turkeys on this WMA. Click here for details.
From Hope, take Ark Hwy. 29 south about 6 miles, take Ark. Hwy. 355 west toward Springhill and follow into the area. The west side of the area can be accessed from U.S. Hwy. 67 west of Hope.
The area was established as a WMA in 1950s.
- Area Notes
- A free annual General Use Permit (WMP) is required to hunt or trap on WMAs. Permits are available online by clicking "Buy Licenses" at agfc.com or by calling 800-364-4263 or any regional office.
- Red Slough Waterfowl Rest Area closes to access Nov. 1 and will reopen to access Feb. 16.
- Dr. Lester Sitzes III Bois D’Arc Lake is open for fishing and non-hunting access.
- For access restrictions that affect all users during waterfowl season, check the waterfowl guidebook.
Primitive campsites are available around the lake and on the west side of the WMA.
The area consists primarily of bottomland hardwood habitats. This includes a 660-acre greentree waterfowl area. Little Grassy Duck Area is a 150-acre moist-soil management unit.
- Hunting Opportunities
Waterfowl, deer, quail, turkey, squirrel, and rabbits.
The WMA is 16 miles south of Hope.
- Management Practices
A system of levees and water control structures facilitate inundating the area for waterfowl habitat. A forest management prescription and open lands management system provide excellent wildlife habitat.
This 13,658-acre area is composed of 5,866 acres of state-owned land and 7,792 acres leased from Red River Texarkana (managed by Hancock Forest Management) and Potlatch timber company.
The primary objective of this management area is to provide high-quality wildlife habitat and public hunting opportunities.
- Recreation Other Than Hunting
Bois d'Arc Lake provides excellent fishing and bird-watching opportunities.
- Restaurants and Other Facilities
Facilities are located in Springhill and Hope.
Bois d'Arc Lake and the associated creeks and sloughs are also home to the American Alligator. Caution should be used at all times, especially during warm weather, and swimming is not allowed. The lake also has numerous stumps and logs which require slow boat operations.
- WMA Master Plan