Bell Slough WMA
Counties: Faulkner, Pulaski
- 2021-22 Closed Seasons
- Deer muzzleloader
- Deer modern gun
- Bear modern gun
- 2021-22 Deer
Deer Archery: Sept. 25, 2021-Feb. 28, 2022
Deer Muzzleloader (Permit Hunt): Oct. 16-20, 2021
Modern Gun (special youth hunts): Nov. 6-7, 2021
Modern Gun: Closed
WMA Deer Bag Limit: Four deer, no more than two antlered bucks, which may include:
- Two antlered bucks with archery, muzzleloader or modern gun,
- Four antlerless with archery
- Two antlerless with muzzleloader or modern gun,
- During youth hunt, youths may take four deer, two antlered bucks and two antlerless.
- Three-point rule.
- No dogs.
- 2021-22 Waterfowl
- 2021-22 Arkansas Waterfowl Hunting Guidebook
- 2021-22 Statewide Waterfowl Season Dates and Bag Limits
- General WMA Regulations
- No boats allowed Nov. 15-19, 2021, Nov.30-Dec. 10, 2021 and Dec. 24-25, 2021.
- Closed to all access (except in designated campsites, parking areas and boat launch ramps) from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m., Nov. 20, 2021-Jan. 31, 2022 and Feb. 5, 2022.
- The Palarm Creek Waterfowl Rest Area is closed to all access from Nov. 1, 2021-Feb. 15, 2022.
- It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through electrical or mechanical means, except jerk strings. See exact code.
- Waterfowl hunters may not possess shotgun shells containing shot larger than No. 2 and may possess no more than 15 shells unless hunters are in camping, parking or boat-launching areas or during the Special Youth Waterfowl Hunts and Special Military Hunts, Dec. 4, 2021 and Feb. 5, 2022.
- No boats allowed from 1 p.m. to 4 a.m., Nov. 20, 2021-Jan. 31, 2022.
Exception – Boats allowed from 1 p.m. until 6:30 p.m., Dec. 4, 2021 and Jan. 31, 2022.
- See Page 44 for boating restrictions.
- Airboats may not be operated within Bell Slough WMA during duck season.
- Non-motorized boat access to water trails in the afternoon during duck season is allowed.
- Hunters gaining access to Grassy Lake from Bell Slough are not required to have a sportsman’s pass, but must stay in or on the water. For information on the sportsman’s pass, call 501-212-4090.
- 2021 Bear
Bear Archery: Sept. 25-Nov. 30, 2021
Bear Muzzleloader: Oct. 16-20, 2021
- Statewide limit.
- No dogs.
- Bear seasons close earlier if bear zone quota is reached.
- 2022-23 Crow
Sept. 1, 2022-Feb. 20, 2023. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- 2022-23 Quail
Nov. 1, 2022-Feb. 5, 2023. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
- 2022-23 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2022-Feb. 28, 2023. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed.
- 2022-23 Squirrel
May 15, 2022-Feb. 28, 2023. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
- 2022 Turkey
Includes Camp Robinson WMA
Firearms Hunt (permit required): April 18-20, 2022, April 25-27, 2022 and May 2-4, 2022. One legal turkey.
- A WMA Turkey Hunt Permit is required to hunt turkeys on this WMA. Click here for details.
Access to Bell Slough is available from Grassy Lake Road and from the backside of the Lake Conway Dam.
- Area Notes
- A free annual General Use Permit (WMP) is required to hunt or trap on WMAs. Permits are available online by clicking "Buy Licenses" at agfc.com or by calling 800-364-4263 or any regional office.
- The Palarm Creek Waterfowl Rest Area closes to access Nov. 1 and reopens to access Feb. 16.
- For access restrictions that affect all users during waterfowl season, check the waterfowl guidebook.
Bell Slough WMA consists of 2,040 acres of woodlands and wetlands nestled between Little Rock and the growing city of Conway. Palarm Creek Rest Area offers birders a chance to view waterfowl, shorebirds and Neotropical migrants, and provides feeding and loafing habitat for migrating waterfowl.
- Hunting Opportunities
Waterfowl hunting is available at Bell Slough. Mallards, gadwall and wood ducks are the primary waterfowl species seen on the area during winter. Bowhunting for deer and squirrel hunting are available on the area as well.
Bell Slough WMA lies just south of Mayflower off Interstate 40.
- Recreation Other Than Hunting
The area is home to Kenny Vernon Nature Trail and Bell Slough Water Trail. These trails offer excellent bird-watching and the hiking trail boasts an observation area with mounted binoculars near Palarm Creek Waterfowl Rest Area.
- Restaurants and Other Facilities
Restaurants are available in Mayflower, Conway and Little Rock, all less than a 15-minute drive from the area.
Because the area is home to a nature trail, hunters should pay particular attention to hikers and birdwatchers who may not be wearing safety orange. Hikers and birdwatchers are strongly encouraged to wear safety orange during hunting seasons.