Holland Bottoms WMA
Counties: Lonoke, Pulaski
- 2020-21 Closed Seasons
- 2020-21 Crow
Sept. 1, 2020-Feb. 21, 2021. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- 2020-21 Deer
Deer Archery: Sept. 26, 2020-Feb. 28, 2021
Deer Muzzleloader (permit hunts): Oct. 17-19, 2020 and Nov. 27-29, 2020
Deer Modern Gun Special Youth Hunt (permit hunt): Nov. 7-8, 2020 and Jan. 2-3, 2021
Deer Modern Gun: Closed
WMA Deer Bag Limit: Three deer, no more than two bucks, which may include:
- Two bucks with archery,
- Two does with archery,
- One buck or doe with muzzleloader permit.
- During youth hunt, youths may take two deer, one buck (no antler restrictions) and one doe.
- A WMA Deer Hunt Permit is required to hunt deer with firearms on this WMA. Click here for details.
- Three-point rule.
- No dogs.
- Only shotguns (.410 and larger) with slugs (no buckshot allowed) or muzzleloader rifles shooting a single projectile are allowed during the modern gun youth permit hunt.
- 2020-21 Quail
Nov. 1, 2020-Feb. 7, 2021. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
- 2020-21 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2020-Feb. 28, 2021. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
- 2020-21 Squirrel
May 15, 2020-Feb. 28, 2021. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
- 2020-21 Waterfowl
- It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through electrical or mechanical means, except jerk strings. See exact code.
- In addition to a valid Arkansas hunting license, nonresidents need a a valid Arkansas waterfowl stamp (DSN) and a 5-day Nonresident WMA Waterfowl Hunting Permit (NW5) to hunt waterfowl on wildlife management areas. The permit costs $30.50 and is valid only Nov. 21-30, Dec. 27-Jan. 5, Jan. 22-31. It is available online, by telephone or from license dealers. Nonresidents will also need a free WMA General Use permit (WMP) when hunting on any WMA.
- Tommy L. Sproles Lake Pickthroen is closed to waterfowl hunting.
- The Holland Bottoms Natural Area Willow Oak Forest Preserve Area is open to waterfowl hunting.
- 2021 Turkey
Youth Hunt (permit required): April 10-11, 2021. One legal turkey.
Firearms Hunt (permit required): April 17-19, 2021 and April 19-21, 2021. One legal turkey, no jakes (youths may take one jake as part of their statewide seasonal limit).
A WMA Turkey Hunt Permit is required to hunt turkeys on this WMA. Click here for details.
- Area Notes
- A free annual General Use Permit (WMP) is required to hunt or trap.
- The Union Pacific Railroad right-of-way through the area is considered part of the WMA for season and regulations purposes.
- Lake Pickthorne WRA closes to access Nov. 1 and reopens to access Feb. 16.
- The WMA access gate near Tommy L. Sproles Lake Pickthorne will open for open hunting seasons with the exception of the summer furbearer seasons.
- Airboats may not be operated within Holland Bottoms WMA (excluding Tommy L. Sproles Lake Pickthorne) during duck season.
Camping is available in three designated camp sites.
Bumping up against Jacksonville's city limits, Holland Bottoms WIldlife Management Area's 6,190 acres are a few minutes' drive from more than a quarter million people in the Little Rock area.
- Hunting Opportunities
Hunting opportunities exist for deer, small game and waterfowl.
- Management Practices
Management practices include: prescribed fires, timber harvest and water level control.
- Recreation Other Than Hunting
Public fishing is available at Tommy L. Sproles Lake Pickthorne on the west side of the WMA.The lake is popular for bass, crappie and bream.
- Restaurants and Other Facilities
Numerous services can be found in the cities of Cabot and Jacksonville
- WMA Master Plan