Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA/Deer Research Area West Unit
- 2021-22 Closed Seasons
- Deer Archery
- Deer Muzzleloader
- 2021-22 Crow
Sept. 2, 2021-Feb. 20, 2022. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- 2021-22 Deer
Deer Modern Gun (Disabled Veteran Permit hunt): Oct. 23-24, 2021
Deer Modern Gun (youth permit hunt): Nov. 20-21, 2021, Nov. 27-28, 2021, Dec. 4-5, 2021 and Dec. 11-12, 2021.
WMA Deer Bag Limit: Three deer, no more than one buck, which may include:
- Two does with modern gun permit,
- During youth and disabled veteran permit hunts, youths and veterans may take three deer, one buck (no antler restrictions) and two does with permit.
- No dogs.
- No antler restrictions.
- 2021-22 Quail
Nov. 1, 2021-Feb. 6, 2022. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
- 2021-22 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2021-Feb. 28, 2022. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
- 2021-22 Squirrel
May 15, 2021-Feb. 28, 2022. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
- 2021-22 Waterfowl
The 2021-22 Arkansas Waterfowl Hunting Guidebook should be posted online early October. Check back for complete WMA information.
- Area Notes
- A free annual General Use Permit (WMP) is required to hunt or trap on WMAs. Permits are available online by clicking "Buy Licenses" at agfc.com or by calling 800-364-4263 or any regional office.
- Check antler restrictions for important additional information.
- Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area East Unit closes to deer hunting when the Mississippi River gauge at Arkansas City reaches 31 feet and remains closed until the gauge falls to 29 feet or below.
- The West Unit does not flood and should remain independent of the East Unit.
- Horses and mules are prohibited during deer season.
- For access restrictions that affect all users during waterfowl season, check the waterfowl guidebook.