Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA/Deer Research Area West Unit
- 2020-21 Closed Seasons
- Deer Archery
- Deer Muzzleloader
- 2020-21 Crow
Sept. 1, 2020-Feb. 21, 2021. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- 2020-21 Deer
Deer Modern Gun (disabled veteran permit hunt): Oct. 24-25, 2020
Deer Modern Gun (youth permit hunt): Nov. 21-22, 2020, Nov. 28-29, 2020, Dec. 5-6, 2020 and Dec. 12-13, 2020
Bag Limit: Three deer, no more than one buck, which may include:
- Two antlerless with modern gun permit,
- During youth and disabled veteran permit hunts, youths and veterans may take three deer, one buck (no antler restrictions) and two does with permit.
- A WMA Deer Hunt Permit is required to hunt deer with firearms on this WMA. Click here for details.
- No dogs allowed.
- No antler restrictions.
- 2020-21 Quail
Nov. 1, 2020-Feb. 7, 2021. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
- 2020-21 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2020-Feb. 28, 2021. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
- 2020-21 Squirrel
May 15, 2020-Feb. 28, 2021. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
- 2020-21 Waterfowl
- It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through electrical or mechanical means, except jerk strings. See exact code.
- Closed to waterfowl hunting except youth waterfowl permit holders and their mentors during permit hunts.
- Visit https://ar-web.s3licensing.com to apply.
- All day hunting on Saturday and Sunday only.
- Hunting allowed in designated locations through online permit lottery.
- No more than four participants per party are allowed in each designated location, minimum of one mentor per party not to exceed one mentor per youth hunter, all members of he party may hunt.
- Area Notes
- A free annual General Use Permit (WMP) is required to hunt or trap.
- Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area East Unit closes to deer hunting when the Mississippi River gauge at Arkansas City reaches 31 feet and remains closed until the gauge falls to 29 feet or below. The West Unit does not flood and should remain independent of the East Unit.
- Horses and mules are prohibited during deer season.
- Airboats may not be operated within the Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA and Deer Research Area (both units, excluding the Mississippi River) during duck season.