Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA/Deer Research Area West Unit
- 2022-23 Closed Seasons
- Deer Archery
- Deer Muzzleloader
- 2022-23 Crow
Sept. 1, 2022-Feb. 20, 2023. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- 2022-23 Deer
Deer Modern Gun (Disabled Veteran Permit hunt): Oct. 22-23, 2022
Deer Modern Gun (youth permit hunt): Nov. 19-20, 2022, Nov. 26-27, 2022, Dec. 3-4, 2022 and Dec. 10-11, 2022.
WMA Deer Bag Limit: Three deer, no more than one buck, which may include:
- During youth and disabled veteran permit hunts, youths and veterans may take three deer, one buck (no antler restrictions) and two does with permit.
- No dogs.
- No antler restrictions.
- 2022-23 Quail
Nov. 1, 2022-Feb. 5, 2023. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
- 2022-23 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2022-Feb. 28, 2023. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
- 2022-23 Squirrel
May 15, 2022-Feb. 28, 2023. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
- 2022-23 Waterfowl
- 2022-23 Arkansas Waterfowl Hunting Guidebook
- 2022-23 Statewide Waterfowl Season Dates and Bag Limits
- General WMA Regulations
- It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through electrical or mechanical means, except jerk strings. See exact code.
- Closed to waterfowl hunting except for permit holders during permit waterfowl hunts.
- Hunting allowed in designated locations through online permit lottery.
www.agfc.comand click on "Buy Licenses" to apply. Youth permit applications only appear if logged in under the youth hunters' Customer ID.
- All day hunting on Saturday and Sunday (Youth/Adult Hunt) and half day hunting on Wednesday (Adult Hunt).
- No more than four participants per party are allowed in each designated location. During Youth/Adult Hunt there is a minimum of one adult mentor per party not to exceed one adult mentor per youth hunter. During Youth/Adult Hunts all members of the party may hunt.
- Area Notes
- A free annual General Use Permit (WMP) is required to hunt or trap on WMAs. Permits are available online by clicking "Buy Licenses" at agfc.com or by calling 833-345-0325 or any regional office.
- Check antler restrictions for important additional information.
- Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area East Unit closes to deer hunting when the Mississippi River gauge at Arkansas City reaches 31 feet and remains closed until the gauge falls to 29 feet or below.
- The West Unit does not flood and should remain independent of the East Unit.
- Horses and mules are prohibited during deer season.
- For access restrictions that affect all users during waterfowl season, check the waterfowl guidebook.