Buffalo National River WMA
Counties: Baxter, Marion, Newton, Searcy
- 2022-23 Closed Seasons
- Furbearer Trapping
- 2022-23 Crow
Sept. 1, 2022-Feb. 20, 2023. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- 2022-23 Deer
Deer Archery: Sept. 24, 2022-Feb. 28, 2023
Deer Muzzleloader: Oct. 15-23, 2022 and Dec. 10-12, 2022
Deer Modern Gun: Nov. 12-Dec. 4, 2022 and Dec. 26-28, 2022
Deer Modern Gun Special Youth Hunt: Nov. 5-6, 2022 and Jan. 7-8, 2023
WMA Deer Bag Limit: Four deer, no more than two antlered bucks, which may include:
- Two antlered bucks with archery, muzzleloader or modern gun (no antler restrictions),
- Four antlerless deer with archery,
- Two antlerless deer with muzzleloader or modern gun.
- During the youth hunt, youths may take four deer, two antlered bucks and two antlerless.
- No antler restrictions.
- No dogs.
- CWD regulations apply in Baxter, Marion, Newton and Searcy counties.
- 2022-23 Quail
Nov. 1, 2022-Feb. 5, 2023. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
- 2022-23 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2022-Feb. 28, 2023. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
- 2022-23 Squirrel
May 15, 2022-Feb. 28, 2023. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
- 2022 Bear
Bear Archery: Sept. 17-Nov. 30, 2022
Bear Muzzleloader: Oct. 15-23, 2022
Bear Modern Gun: Nov. 1230, 2022
Bear Modern Gun Youth Hunt: Nov. 5-6, 2022
- Statewide limit.
- No dogs.
- Bear seasons close earlier if bear zone quota is reached. Click here for details.
- 2022 Elk
Elk (permit hunts): Oct. 3-7, 2022 and Oct. 31-Nov. 4, 2022
Elk Youth (permit hunts): Oct. 1-2, 2022 and Oct. 29-30, 2022
- 2023 Turkey
Youth Hunt: April 8-9, 2023. One legal turkey.
Firearms Hunt: April 17-May 7, 2023. One legal turkey.
- Area Notes
- A free annual General Use Permit (WMP) is required to hunt or trap on WMAs. Permits are available online by clicking "Buy Licenses" at agfc.com or by calling 833-345-0325 or any regional office.
- CWD regulations apply in Marion, Newton and Searcy counties. Due to ongoing research, collared or ear-tagged deer may be present. Research deer are legal for harvest. Tag and check research deer as required and call 833-289-2469 within 12 hours of harvest.
- Research deer are legal for harvest. Tag and check research deer as required and call 833-289-2469 within 12 hours of harvest.
- This area is administered by the National Park Service in conjunction with AGFC. Please visit the Superintendent’s Compendium available at www.nps.gov/buff for additional Federal regulations.
- Chase for pleasure and dog training are not allowed.
- Discharging firearms across, into or from the Buffalo River and its gravel bars is not allowed.
- Hunting is not allowed in developed areas.
- Firearms and crossbows must be unloaded and cased or broken down when in a developed campground.
- The operation of off-road motor vehicles is not allowed on roads, lands and waters within the Buffalo National River.
- Vehicles may not travel off-road.
- Campsites may not remain unattended for more than 24 hours.
- Sylamore WMA seasons and regulations apply to Buffalo National River lands in Marion and Baxter counties lying east of Big Creek and south and east of the Buffalo River.
- No trapping is allowed on Buffalo National River.
National Park Service