Holland Bottoms WMA
Counties: Lonoke, Pulaski
- 2022-23 Waterfowl
- 2022-23 Arkansas Waterfowl Hunting Guidebook
- 2022-23 Statewide Waterfowl Season Dates and Bag Limits
- General WMA Regulations
- It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through electrical or mechanical means, except jerk strings. See exact code.
- Tommy L. Sproles Lake Pickthorne is closed to waterfowl hunting.
- The Willow Oak Forest Preserve Natural Area is open to waterfowl hunting.
- See Page 44 for boating restrictions.
- Airboats may not be operated within Holland Bottoms WMA (excluding Tommy L. Sproles Lake Pickthorne) during duck season.
- 2023-24 Closed Seasons
- Deer Regular Modern Gun
- 2023-24 Crow
Sept. 1, 2023-Feb. 19, 2024. Open Thursdays through Mondays only. No limit.
- 2023-24 Deer
Deer Archery: Sept. 23, 2023-Feb. 29, 2024
Deer Muzzleloader (permit hunts): Oct. 21-23, 2023 and Nov. 24-26, 2023
Deer Modern Gun: Closed
Deer Modern Gun Special Youth Hunt: Nov. 4-5, 2023 and Jan. 6-7, 2024
WMA Deer Bag Limit: Three deer, no more than two bucks, which may include:
- Two bucks with archery,
- Two does with archery,
- One buck or doe with muzzleloader permit.
- During youth hunt, youths may take two deer, one buck (no antler restrictions) and one doe.
- Three-point rule.
- No dogs.
- 2023-24 Quail
Nov. 1, 2023-Feb. 5, 2024. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12.
While training bird dogs, you may use handguns or shotguns with blank ammunition. Pen-raised quail may be taken with a Shoot-To-Kill Bird Dog Field Training Permit. This permit is available from your local wildlife officer.
- 2023-24 Rabbit
Sept. 1, 2023-Feb. 29, 2024. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16.
- 2023-24 Squirrel
May 15, 2023-Feb. 29, 2024. Dogs allowed. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
- 2024 Turkey
Youth Hunt (permit required): April 6-7, 2024. One legal turkey.
Firearms Hunt (permit required): April 15-17 and April 20-22, 2024. One legal turkey.
A WMA Turkey Hunt Permit is required to hunt turkeys on this WMA. Click here for details.
- Area Notes
- A free annual General Use Permit (WMP) is required to hunt or trap on WMAs. Permits are available online by clicking "Buy Licenses" at agfc.com or by calling 833-345-0325 or any regional office.
- Only shotguns (.410 and larger) with slugs (no buckshot allowed) or muzzleloading rifles shooting a single projectile are allowed during modern gun special youth hunt.
- The Union Pacific Railroad right-of-way through the area is considered part of the WMA for season and regulations purposes.
- Lake Pickthorne WRA closes to access Nov. 1 and reopens to access Feb. 16.
- For access restrictions that affect all users during waterfowl season, check the waterfowl guidebook.
Camping is available in three designated camp sites.
Bumping up against Jacksonville's city limits, Holland Bottoms WIldlife Management Area's 6,190 acres are a few minutes' drive from more than a quarter million people in the Little Rock area.
- Hunting Opportunities
Hunting opportunities exist for deer, small game and waterfowl.
- Management Practices
Management practices include: prescribed fires, timber harvest and water level control.
- Recreation Other Than Hunting
Public fishing is available at Tommy L. Sproles Lake Pickthorne on the west side of the WMA.The lake is popular for bass, crappie and bream.
- Restaurants and Other Facilities
Numerous services can be found in the cities of Cabot and Jacksonville
- WMA Master Plan