Aug. 10, 2022
Randy Zellers Assistant Chief of Communications
Be sure to apply for one of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission’s 11 permit-based dove fields by Aug. 15 if you’re looking for a fun way to kick off hunting season this Labor Day Weekend. Applications are available at the AGFC’s licensing site https://ar-web.s3licensing.com under the “Special Hunt Applications” tab.
Four of these AGFC’s managed fields are on Wildlife Management Areas and seven are privately owned fields the agency leased from farmers to offer additional opportunities for the public to enjoy a traditional dove season opener.
The following WMAs will have permit-based dove hunts on Sept. 3 and 4:
- Camp Robinson Special Use Area in Faulkner County;
- Shirey Bay Rainey Brake WMA’s Powhatan Field in Lawrence County;
- Black River WMA’s Brookings Field in Clay County; and
- Frog Bayou WMA’s Powerline Field in Crawford County.
After opening weekend, dove hunting will be available on these fields on a first come, first served basis. The AGFC also has a list of other managed dove fields that are open without a drawn permit at www.agfc.com/dove.
The seven private fields leased for this year’s permit dove hunts are as follows:
- Jefferson County (34 acres of sunflowers)
- Franklin County (40 acres of top-sown wheat with some sunflowers)
- Lafayette County (40 acres of sunflowers)
- Fulton County (40 acres of top-sown wheat)
- Bradley County (36 acres of top-sown wheat)
- Greene County (60 acres of sunflowers)
- Prairie County (60 acres of millet)
Applications require a $5 processing fee. Applicants may choose a first and second choice for the day and field they want to hunt. Permit winners will be notified after the drawing and will be emailed detailed maps and directions to their fields. Hunters may bring one hunting partner with them to enjoy the hunt, but both hunters must hunt together at a designated shooting station within the permitted area. No other hunting is allowed on these fields. No scouting or access to the fields will be allowed outside of the hunt day drawn.
The 2022-23 Arkansas Dove Season is Sept. 3-Oct. 23, 2022 and Dec. 8, 2022-Jan.15, 2023. The daily bag limit for mourning dove and white-winged dove is 15, with a possession limit of 45. There is no daily bag limit or possession limit for Eurasian collared-dove.