Nuisance Wildlife 

< Back to Species and Habitats


opossumBeaver, coyote, muskrat, nutria, opossum, raccoon, squirrel, striped skunk and nongame wildlife other than migratory birds and endangered species that are causing damage to personal property may be taken during daylight hours or trapped the entire year. Rodenticides may be used to control mice and rats, but poisons or chemicals may not be used to kill any other animal. English sparrows, blackbirds, starlings and crows committing damage to agriculture crops and personal property may be taken without a permit.

A Depredation Permit is required to trap nuisance game animals other than beaver, coyote, muskrat, nutria, opossum, raccoon, squirrel, and striped skunk outside of the trapping season. A Depredation Permit is required to shoot any nuisance wildlife at night. Landowners or their designees with Depredation Permits may use any trapping method legal for use in the fur-trapping season. Conibear or comparable body-gripping traps with jaw spreads of up to 10 inches may be used inside buildings. Cage-style live traps may be used. Traps set in the outdoors must be marked in accordance with Code 10.07. Firearms may be used at day or night if specifically approved by the Commission employee issuing the Depredation Permit. Depredation Permits may be obtained from Commission Wildlife Officers or Wildlife Biologists. Please contact your nearest regional office for more information.

Live traps: Nuisance animals, other than bear or alligator, may also be removed by landowners (or their designees) at any time without a Depredation Permit with the use of live traps. Trapping in towns must be in compliance with municipal ordinances. Live-trapped wildlife must be released unharmed outside the municipality’s boundaries within 24 hours. Live traps must have the trapper’s name and address or his vehicle operator ’s license number or the current vehicle license number registered to the trap user.

AGFC Landowner Nuisance Wildlife Registry

This registry was developed for landowners with problem furbearers willing to allow licensed trappers or furbearer hunters access to their property during open hunting and trapping seasons in order to take furbearers causing property damage in addition to other valuable species. By placing their names in this registry landowners are not opening their property to all trappers and hunters. People interested in accessing a specific property MUST contact the landowner and obtain their written permission to hunt or trap on that area prior to engaging in this activity.