< Back to Special Hunt Permits
2016 Elk Hunting Season
Permit Application Schedule
|Elk | Public Land
||Application period begins
||Public land permits will be drawn from online applications at the annual Buffalo River Elk Festival in Jasper
||Public land permits will be drawn for a person who registered during the festival
|Elk | Private Land
||Application period begins
Public Land Elk Hunting Information
Public Land Elk Permit Application Requirements
- Only Arkansas residents with a Resident Sportsman Hunting License or holders of a Lifetime Sportsman's Permit may apply. Hunters under 16 (as of May 1, 2016) must have a valid hunter education number to apply.
- Applicants must be 6 or older to participate.
- Applicants with 12 or more violation points are ineligible to apply.
Public Land Elk Hunt Details
Public land elk hunts are held on designated areas of the Buffalo National River, Gene Rush WMA, Richland Valley Sonny Varnell Elk Conservation Area and Bearcat Hollow WMA.
2016 Public Land Elk Season (by drawn permit only)
29 permits available for the 2016 season
Youth Hunts: Oct. 1-2 and Oct. 29-30, 2016
Regular Elk Hunts: Oct. 3-7 and Oct. 31-Nov. 4, 2016
Private Land Elk Hunt Information
Elk Management Assistance Program (EMAP) Application Requirements
- Private land elk permit applications must be submitted by mail, postmarked no earlier than June 1 and no later than July 15.
- Applications must include a $35 fee.
- Applications may be submitted by residents and nonresidents owning property within the private lands elk hunting zone.
- Applicants must possess a valid Arkansas hunting license. Applicants under 16 must have a valid hunter education certification.
- Applicants with 12 or more violation points in the past five years are ineligible to participate.
- Only one application per property (contiguous acreage owned by a common owner) will be accepted for EMAP permits. Contiguous acreage owned by a common owner cannot be split or subdivided to obtain additional EMAP permits.
- Duplicate, illegible or incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Landowners will be issued a number of permits based on the acreage of their property and the quota for the season (see Addendum Chapter S1.00).
- Permits will be issued to eligible landowners and will be transferable from the landowners to eligible hunters.
- EMAP permits must be used only within the boundary of the EMAP property they were issued to.
EMAP Private Land Elk Hunt Details
Elk hunting on private land is restricted to one zone, consisting of all private land in Boone, Carroll, Madison, Newton and Searcy counties (except a portion of Boxley Valley).
2016 Private Land Elk Season (by EMAP permit only)
Youth Hunt: Oct. 29-30, 2016
Regular Elk Hunt: Oct. 31-Nov. 4, 2016
2016 Private Land Elk Quota
12 Either sex elk
40 Antlerless elk
Hunters must call 800-440-1477 each night to see if the quota has been reached. The season ends Nov. 4 or the morning after the quota is reached, whichever comes first.
Statewide Elk Hunt Information
Any hunter outside of Boone, Carroll, Madison, Newton and Searcy counties who sees an elk while legally hunting for deer may take that elk with a limit of one, either sex per year.