< Back to Special Hunt Permits
2014-15 Urban Deer Hunt Dates
All urban deer hunts will open Saturday, Sept. 6, 2014 and close Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015.
Cities with 2014-15 Urban Hunts
The following cities will host urban archery hunts in the 2014-15 season:
- Bull Shoals | Map
- Cherokee Village | Map
- Fairfield Bay | Map
- Fort Smith/Barling | Map
- Heber Springs | Map
- Horseshoe Bend | Map
- Lakeview | Map
- Russellville | Map
Urban Deer Hunt Application Requirements
A drawing will not be conducted for these hunts. However, all hunters are required to:
- Apply online from April 1-May 1, 2014.
- Pass the International Bowhunter Education Program course.
- Attend an urban hunt orientation (see below). After attending the orientation, hunters will be eligible to hunt all the urban deer hunts for that year.
- Pass a shooting proficiency test at the orientation.
- Pay annual confirmation fee of $50 at the orientation, which includes membership in the Arkansas Bowhunters Association, for insurance purposes.
- Possess a valid (resident or nonresident) Arkansas big game license. All hunters must be 16 or older.
- Possess a valid Urban Bowhunting Permit (issued by AGFC). Permit will be valid for all the urban deer hunts for that year.
- Hunter will be provided a vehicle placard that must be signed by a representative from each municipality that he/she wishes to hunt.
- Display placard in full view on the dashboard of their vehicle and carry the approved permit at all times while hunting.
- Use only a longbow, recurve or compound bow with at least 35-pound pull and broadheads at least 7/8-inch wide (mechanicals OK); string-locks are not permitted.
- Hunt in designated areas, and if hunting on private property, hunters must possess written permission from the property owner.
- Hunt at least 50 yards from designated trails and parks.
- Hunt at least 50 yards from any occupied dwelling without written permission.
- Keep all bows cased to and from stands.
- Shoot only from stands that are at least 10 feet above the ground (no walking, stalking or ground blinds).
- Cover harvested animals from sight before transporting/moving from the field.
- Remove harvested animals during daylight hours if at all possible.
- Special considerations will be made for disabled hunters in wheelchairs.
- Donate first deer to Arkansas Hunters Feeding the Hungry (a 501C-3 charitable organization).
- Check deer online or by telephone at 866-305-0808. Hunter must check to the appropriate urban deer zone.
Scheduled International Bowhunting Education Classes
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m., May 10, Janet Huckabee Arkansas River Valley Nature Center, 8300 Wells Lake Road, Fort Smith, AR 72916
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m., June 28, Janet Huckabee Arkansas River Valley Nature Center, 8300 Wells Lake Road, Fort Smith, AR 72916
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m., July 12, Izard County Fairgrounds, 1927 Lacrosse Road, Melbourne, AR 72556
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m., July 19, Janet Huckabee Arkansas River Valley Nature Center, 8300 Wells Lake Road, Fort Smith, AR 72916
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m., July 26, Lake Dardanelle State Park Weigh-in Pavilion, Russellville, AR 72802
Urban Deer Hunt Orientation
Applicants who attend one of the scheduled urban deer hunt orientations may hunt any of the urban hunts being held in 2014-15. Orientation dates and locations are:
- 8 a.m., Aug. 2, Ed Gordon Point Remove WMA Headquarters, I-40 Exit 101, Blackwell Exit, Blackwell, AR 72823
- 8 a.m., Aug. 9, Old Melbourne Elementary School, 104 School Street, Melbourne, AR 72556
- 8 a.m., Aug. 16, Janet Huckabee Arkansas River Valley Nature Center, 8300 Wells Lake Road, Fort Smith, AR 72916
There is a $50 fee, which includes Arkansas Bowhunters Association membership and covers liability insurance.
How to Apply
Hunters may only apply for urban archery hunts online. Click here to apply.