|Name||Little Bayou WMA|
|Seasons and Regulations|Turkey:
Youth Hunt: April 8-9, 2017. Two bearded turkeys, no more than one jake.
Firearms Hunt: April 10-25, 2017. Two bearded turkeys, no jakes (youths may take one jake as part of their statewide seasonal limit).
See Area Notes for Access Regulations.
Deer Archery: Sept. 24, 2016-Feb. 28, 2017.
Deer Muzzleloader (permit hunt): Oct. 15-19, 2016.
Deer Modern Gun Youth Hunt (permit hunt): Nov. 5-6, 2016.
WMA Deer Bag Limit:
Four deer, no more than two bucks, which may include:
• Two bucks with archery,
• Four does with archery,
• One buck and one doe with muzzleloader permit.
• During youth hunt, youths may take two deer, one buck (no antler restrictions) and one doe.
Deer Notes: Three-point rule. No dogs.
Nov. 1, 2016-Feb. 5, 2017. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
Sept. 1, 2016-Feb. 28, 2017. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
May 15, 2016-Feb. 28, 2017. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
Sept. 1, 2016-Feb. 21, 2017. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- Deer modern gun,
- It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through electrical or mechanical means, except traditional jerk strings.
- No boats allowed from noon to 4 a.m., Nov. 19-Jan. 29.
- Exception - Boats allowed from noon until 6:30 p.m., Dec. 3, Jan. 27-29 and Feb. 4.
- Closed to all access (except in designated campsites, parking areas, boat launch ramps and boat staging areas) from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m., Nov. 19-Jan. 29 and Feb. 4.
- Click here for boating regulations on WMAs.
|Leased Land Permit Required||No|
|About the Name|
Little Bayou WMA is named for the small bayou running through the area known as Little Bayou.
Formerly an agricultural area in the early 90s, Little Bayou WMA was replanted in timber in 1991 with hardwood seedlings and acorns. The area is now predominately forested with bottomland and upland hardwoods and short-leaf pines.
This area offers many types of game to hunt. Deer, turkeys, and small game such as rabbit, squirrels and dove can be hunted. The area is known for excellent rabbit hunting.
Wildlife habitat on this area is managed through timber management and prescribed fires. Native warm season grasses were planted through a grant awarded to the area. This WMA also has one of the few access ramps to Bayou Bartholomew.
|Recreation Other Than Hunting|
Bird watching, floating the bayou and fishing are fun ways to use the WMA other than for hunting purposes.
Camping is allowed on Little Bayou WMA. There is one campsite on Ashley County Road 104 with pads for RV’s, but there are no hookups for electricity or water.
|Restaurants and Other Facilities|
Hamburg is the closest city with restaurants and hotels. T&T Hog Hut and Sawyers steakhouse are good restaurants try while in the area.
Little Bayou does experience seasonal high waters, flooding is a possibility.