|Name||Holland Bottoms WMA|
Parking lot closed temporarily on south end of Holland Bottoms WMA
JACKSONVILLE – Due to increased dumping of waste materials, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission will temporarily close the access road leading to the Graham Road parking lot on Holland Bottoms Wildlife Management Area. The lot is located on south boundary of the WMA.
In the past month, crews from the AGFC have hauled away over four trailer loads of items such as carpet, furniture and concrete. The gate will be reopened during the turkey permit hunts and again on Sept. 1.
|Seasons and Regulations|Turkey:
Youth Hunt (permit required): April 11-12, 2015. One bearded turkey.
Firearms Hunt (permit required): April 18-20 and April 24-26, 2015. One bearded turkey, no jakes (youths may take one jake as part of their statewide seasonal limit).
See Area Notes for Access Regulations
Deer Archery: Sept. 26, 2015-Feb. 29, 2016.
Deer Muzzleloader (permit hunts): Oct. 17-19 and Nov. 27-29, 2015.
Deer Modern Gun Special Youth Hunt (permit hunt): Nov. 7-8, 2015 and Jan 2-3, 2016.
WMA Deer Bag Limit:
Three deer, no more than two bucks, which may include:
• Two bucks with archery,
• Two does with archery,
• One buck or doe with muzzleloader permit.
Deer Notes: Three-point rule. Only shotguns (.410 and larger) with slugs (no buckshot allowed) or muzzleloader rifles shooting a single projectile are allowed during the modern gun youth permit hunt. No dogs.Limit during the modern gun youth permit hunt is two deer; one buck (no antler restrictions) and one doe.
Nov. 1, 2015-Feb. 7, 2016 (Tuesdays and Saturdays only). Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
Sept. 1, 2015-Feb. 29, 2016. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
May 15, 2015-Feb. 29, 2016. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
Sept. 1, 2015-Feb. 21,2016. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- Deer modern gun
- The Union Pacific Railroad right-of-way through the area is considered part of the WMA for season and regulations purposes.
- Lake Pickthorne WRA is closed to access Nov. 1-Feb. 15.
- The WMA access gate near Tommy L. Sproles Lake Pickthorne will open for open hunting seasons with the exception of the summer furbearer seasons.
- The Holland Bottoms Natural Area Willow Oak Forest Preserve is open to waterfowl hunting.
- Nonresidents need a Nonresident Wildlife Management Area Waterfowl Hunting Permit to hunt waterfowl.
- Airboats may not be operated within Holland Bottoms WMA (except Tommy L. Sproles Lake Pickthorne) during duck season.
- No boats allowed from 1 p.m. to 4 a.m., Nov. 22-Jan. 25 and Jan. 31-Feb. 1.
- Exception 1 - Boats allowed on Tommy Sproles Lake Pickthorne for angling.
- Exception 2 - Boats allowed from 1 pm. until 6:30 p.m., Jan. 23-25 and Jan. 31-Feb. 1.
- Closed to all access (except anglers on Tommy Sproles Lake Pickthorne and in designated campsites, parking areas, boat launch ramps and boat staging areas) from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m., Nov. 22-Jan. 25 and Jan. 31-Feb. 1.
|Leased Land Permit Required||No|
AGFC/Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission
|Description||Bumping up against Jacksonville's city limits, Holland Bottoms WIldlife Management Area's 6,190 acres are a few minutes' drive from more than a quarter million people in the Little Rock area.|
|Hunting Opportunities||Hunting opportunities exist for deer, small game and waterfowl.|
|Management Practices||Management practices include: prescribed fires, timber harvest and water level control.|
|Recreation Other Than Hunting||Public fishing is available at Tommy L. Sproles Lake Pickthorne on the west side of the WMA.The lake is popular for bass, crappie and bream.|
|Camping||Camping is available in three designated camp sites.|
|Restaurants and Other Facilities||Numerous services can be found in the cities of Cabot and Jacksonville|