|Name||Dr. Lester Sitzes III Bois D’Arc WMA|
The WMA is 16 miles south of Hope.
|Seasons and Regulations|Turkey:
Archery Hunt (no permit required): April 28-May 4, 2014. Two bearded turkeys, no jakes (youths may take one jake as part of their statewide seasonal limit).
Firearms Hunt (permit required): April 19-21 and April 25-27, 2014. One bearded turkey, no jakes (youths may take one jake as part of their statewide seasonal limit).
A free WMA hunter use permit is required and is available online at www.agfc.com or by calling any AGFC regional office.
• Dr. Lester Sitzes III Bois d’Arc Lake WRA is open for fishing and non-hunting access. Red Slough WRA is opened only to the deer archery hunt, Oct. 1-Nov. 2.
• No boats are allowed before 4 a.m. or after 1 p.m. during duck season (including opening days of season segments), except Jan. 24-26 and during the Special Youth Waterfowl Hunt, Feb. 1-2, when boats may be used from 4 a.m. until 6:30 p.m.
• Boats are not allowed on the greentree waterfowl area 14 days before duck season opens. Boats with outboard motors larger than 25 horsepower, surface-drive motors larger than 36 horsepower and airboats may not be used (except for Dr. Lester Sitzes III Bois d’Arc Lake).
• Nonresidents need a Nonresident Wildlife Management Area Waterfowl Hunting Permit to hunt waterfowl.
Deer Archery: Sept. 28, 2013-Feb. 28, 2014.
Red Slough Waterfowl Rest Area: Sept. 28-Nov. 1, 2013.
Deer Muzzleloader (permit hunt): Oct. 19-23 and Nov. 2-3, 2013.
Deer Modern Gun (permit hunt): Nov. 9-13, 2013.
WMA Deer Bag Limit:
Four deer, no more than two bucks, which may include:
• Two bucks with archery,
• Four does with archery,
• One buck and two does with muzzleloader permit,
• One buck and two does with modern gun permit.
Deer Notes: 12-inch inside spread or 15-inch main beam rule. No dogs.
Sept. 16-19 and Sept. 23-26, 2011. Permit required.
Nov. 1, 2013-Feb. 2, 2014. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
Sept. 1, 2013-Feb. 28, 2014. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
May 15, 2013-Feb. 28, 2014. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
Sept. 1, 2013-Feb. 21,2014. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
|Leased Land Permit Required||No|
This 13,626-acre area is composed of 5,866 acres of state-owned land and 7,760 acres leased from International Paper and Potlatch timber companies.
The area was established as a WMA in 1950s.
The primary objective of this management area is to provide high-quality wildlife habitat and public hunting opportunities.
The area consists primarily of bottomland hardwood habitats. This includes a 660-acre greentree waterfowl area. Little Grassy Duck Area is a 150-acre moist-soil management unit.
From Hope, take Ark Hwy. 29 south about 6 miles, take Ark. Hwy. 355 west toward Springhill and follow into the area.
The west side of the area can be accessed from U.S. Hwy. 67 west of Hope.
Waterfowl, deer, quail, turkey, squirrel, and rabbits.
A system of levees and water control structures facilitate inundating the area for waterfowl habitat. A forest management prescription and open lands management system provide excellent wildlife habitat.
|Recreation Other Than Hunting|
Bois d’ Arc Lake provides excellent fishing and bird-watching opportunities.
Primitive campsites are available around the lake and on the west side of the WMA.
|Restaurants and Other Facilities|
Facilities are located in Springhill and Hope.
Bois d’ Arc Lake and the associated creeks and sloughs are also home to the American Alligator. Caution should be used at all times, especially during warm weather, and swimming is not allowed. The lake also has numerous stumps and logs which require slow boat operations.