|Name||Beryl Anthony Lower Ouachita WMA|
|County Coverage||Ashley, Union|
The area is 15 miles west of Crossett between Felsenthal National Wildlife Refuge in Arkansas and Upper Ouachita National Wildlife Refuge in Louisiana.
|Seasons and Regulations|Turkey:
Youth Hunt: April 11-12, 2015. One bearded turkey.
Firearms Permit Hunt: April 18-20, 2015. One bearded turkey, no jakes (youths may take one jake as part of their statewide seasonal limit).
See Area Notes for Access Regulations
Deer Archery: Sept. 26, 2015-Feb. 29, 2016.
Deer Muzzleloader: Oct. 17-25 and Dec. 29-31, 2015.
Deer Modern Gun: Nov. 14-Dec. 20 and Dec. 26-28, 2015.
Deer Modern Gun Special Youth Hunt: Nov. 7-8, 2015 and Jan. 2-3, 2016.
WMA Deer Bag Limit:
Six deer, no more than two bucks, which may include:
• Two bucks with archery, muzzleloader or modern gun,
• Six does with archery,
• Six does with muzzleloader and modern gun combined.
Deer Notes: Three-point rule. No dogs. Limit during the modern gun special youth hunt is six deer. No more than two bucks (no antler restrictions) and six does.
Nov. 1, 2015-Feb. 7, 2016. Daily limit - 6, possession limit -12. Bird dogs allowed.
Sept. 1, 2015-Feb. 29, 2016. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts.
May 15, 2015-Feb. 29, 2016. Dogs allowed except during firearms deer hunts. Daily limit - 12, possession limit - 48.
Sept. 1, 2015-Feb. 21,2016. Open Thursdays through Mondays. No limit.
- No boats allowed from 1 p.m. until 4 a.m., Nov. 22-Jan. 25 and Jan. 31-Feb. 1.
- Exception 1 - Boats allowed in the Ouachita River.
- Exception 2 - Boats allowed from 1 p.m. until 6:30 p.m., Jan. 23-25 and Jan. 31.-Feb. 1.
- Closed to all access (except in the Ouachita River, designated campsites, parking areas, boat launch ramps and boat staging areas) from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m., Nov. 22-Jan. 25 and Jan. 31-Feb. 1.
- Only Arkansas-approved nontoxic shot must be possessed and used while hunting small game with shotguns.
- Nonresidents need a Nonresident Wildlife Management Area Waterfowl Hunting Permit to hunt waterfowl.
- Airboats may not be operated within Beryl-Anthony Lower Ouachita WMA (excluding the Ouachita River) during duck season.
|Leased Land Permit Required||No|
|About the Name|
The area was named after a former AGFC commissioner who assisted with acquisition of the area. Before it was renamed, this area was known as Lower Ouachita WMA.
This 7,500-acre area is owned by the AGFC. It includes Coffee Prairie Natural Area, which belongs to the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission.
The AGFC purchased the land in 1987.
The area was purchased in order to provide hunting fishing, and other outdoor recreational activities in south Arkansas.
The Beryl Anthony WMA comprises seasonally flooded bottomland hardwoods. A few pine ridges and prairie remnants also occur on the area.
A single access road along the west side of the river exists.
The area provides excellent waterfowl hunting opportunities when the Ouachita River floods. Deer and squirrel hunting is fair to good.
Management goals for this area are to sustain bottomland hardwood habitat by protecting the existing young hardwood forest from disease and year-round flooding caused by beavers.
|Recreation Other Than Hunting|
The Ouachita River, oxbows and sloughs provide excellent fishing opportunities.
Currently, two designated primitive campsites exist along the access road on the west side of the river.
|Restaurants and Other Facilities|
Nearest towns are Huttig, Crossett and El Dorado.
Care should be taken when driving along the access road. There are a couple of places where it gets very near the high bank of the Ouachita River. Care should also be taken when the area becomes flooded.