LITTLE ROCK – The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission approved a measure that will make it easier to work with non-governmental conservation agencies to help recruit new hunters, anglers and conservationists during its meeting today.
According to Tony Davis, AGFC chief information officer, the agreement will open communication between organizations such as the National Wild Turkey Federation and the AGFC. This will let them share information on members and people who attend workshops and education programs on either side, so that both groups will be able to follow up with participants and offer additional guidance to learn more about the outdoors. The first agreement has been made with the NWTF, and Arkansas is the pilot program for this new endeavor.
Corey Dunn, NWTF district field supervisor for Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma, says he is excited about the new opportunity.
“We really think this will benefit everyone in recruiting new hunters, which is one of the NWTF’s main goals,” Dunn said in a committee briefing Monday regarding the agreement.
In other business, the Commission:
- Recognized Wildlife Officer First Class Steve Paul of Hot Spring County as this year’s recipient of the Shikar-Safari Club International’s Wildlife Officer of the Year. The presentation was made by Mike and Kay Breedlove of Shikar-Safari.
- Recognized eight employees with a total of 180 years of service for their commitment to the people and natural resources of Arkansas.
- Approved the removal of equipment and inventory with an original value of $37,891.30 and a current net book value of $6,598.09.
- Approved a budget transfer of $70,000 from the gas revenue fund to the capital fleet budget for the purchase of two vehicles.
- Heard the first reading of proposed regulations changes to license system requirements involving point-of-sale license vendors.
- Approved a permanent easement on Holland Bottoms WMA to the City of Jacksonville for water utility work.
- Approved a permanent easement on Lester Sitzes III Bois D’Arc WMA to the Southeast Arkansas Water Facilities Board for water utility work.